This is an easy dish to serve your vegetarian family members and guests as a
main dish or to serve as a side dish with fish or pasta. It works nearly as
well with split-peas.
Sauté garlic in 3 T. oil, just 30 seconds.
Add stock, lentils, tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat,
cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes, cook 15 minutes.
Add lemon juice, zest, spinach. Simmer 2 minutes.
Fold in mint and parsley. Serve with crumbled feta.
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- 1.5 quarts pareve broth (chicken or vegetable flavor)
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest of two lemons
- 12 ounces fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and roughly broken up
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley