Melon Mango Soup
In August, when melons are plentiful, and mangoes are readily available in Illinois, this soup is a delight.
The recipe is quite flexible in terms of the proportion of mango and melon. I like to use a lot of fresh lime.
Yield: 8-9 servings
- 3 pounds ripe cantaloupe flesh
- 3 pounds ripe mango flesh (the best variety of mangoes is Kent; avoid Tommy Atkins, if possible.)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, more to taste
- 3 cups sparkling dry hard cider (Scrumpy's is excellent)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
Pit, peel, and coarsely cut mangoes. Peel and remove seeds from cantaloupe.
Puree the fruit, add the lime, and refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours.
Just before serving, stir in the sparkling dry cider.
Garnish with chopped fresh mint.