These crunchy, curried carrots are from our friend Keith Kanter. They are a great side
dish with cold or warm meats, particularly those with curry or Moroccan spices.
- 7-8 large fresh carrots (pick them out at the produce stand, stay away from pre-bagged)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- small (6 ounce) can of crushed pineapple in its own juice, squeeze pineapple in a clean dish towel
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. curry powder (a bit less if you don't love curry)
With a wide-blade vegetable peeler, peel long, wide strips from the carrots - they
should resemble noodles. Discard the tough cores. Mix the remaining ingredients in
a serving bowl, add the carrot noodles, fold to incorporate all the ingredients. Refrigerate
and serve chilled.