Broccoli and Wild Rice
This fresh and crunchy wild rice recipe originated with the Fall River Wild Rice company. It can be served either
hot or at room temperature. The proportion of vegetables can be varied with taste and availability.
Yield: 10 servings
- 2.5 cups cooked wild rice (2/3 cup uncooked)
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, cleaned, peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 6 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
In a large pot or microwave-proof container, cook the rice in
about 4 cups of lightly salted water. If you are cooking the rice on a conventional stove, simmer for about 35 minutes;
in the microwave, bring
the water to a boil, and cook the rice on medium-low for about 30 minutes. The rice should be just tender and
starting to open. Drain the water.
Sauté the vegetables in the olive oil. Toss the vegetables, rice, and nuts together in a large
bowl, and season to taste with salt and pepper.